I enjoy winging it when it comes to cooking, inspiration strikes from a cooking show, a recipe book, or even while I am grocery shopping. I have been living a dairy, soy, and egg free lifestyle for the past three months and it has forced me to change my eating habits and pushed me out of my comfort zone when it comes to cooking.
I have been using all of my culinary skills that I learned from my parents, my sister, and even my favorite chefs to create meals that fit these guidelines without lack of flavor.
Shrimps are my favorite when it comes to seafood, I wanted to create something that I never did before, no pasta or grains, possibly a soup, and that’s when the idea hit me: Shrimp and Lentils Curry
This recipe is heavily influenced by my Guyanese background and I am proud to say, it got the deal of approval from my husband and our picky toddler.
Shrimps and Lentils Curry:
• 1lb Raw, Large, Deveined Shrimps
• 2 Green Onions, Chopped
• 1/2 Yellow Onion, Chopped
• 3 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
• 3 Cups Fresh Baby Spinach
• 6 Red Plum Tomatoes, Gutted and Chopped
• 4 TBSP Curry Powder
• 2 TBSP Cumin
• 2 TBSP Chili Powder
• 2 TBSP Salt
• 4 TBSP EVOO
• 1.5 TBSP Cream of Coconut
• 2 cups of Dried Red Lentils
• Handful of Fresh Cilantro, Chopped
- Heat 2TBSP of EVOO in a medium skillet and add your chopped green onions, chopped yellow onion, and minced garlic into the pan. Cook for 2-3 min or until the vegetables are softened.
- Add your gutted and chopped tomatoes into the pan and cook until softened. Approximately 4-5mins.
- Add 1TBSP of cumin, 2 TBSP of Curry Powder, 1 TBSP Chili Powder, and 1TBSP of salt to the tomato and vegetable mixture.
- Wash your dried lentils and add them into the pan, mix until all ingredients are well combined. Add 3 cups of water to the pan, 1.5TBSP of Cream of Coconut, and 3 cups of spinach, bring to a boil and then let it simmer for 12-15 mins or until the lentils become a thick mixture.
- In a separate bowl, add your remaining dried ingredients and mix it with the shrimps.
- Heat the remaining 2TBSP of EVOO in a separate skillet and cook your shrimps for 2mins on each side. Remove the shrimps from the skillet when done cooking and set aside.
- Serve the Lentils alone and topped with shrimps, on a bed of Basmati rice, or with Naan. Garnish with cilantro.
Be sure to check out my other recipes! I hope to add more dairy-free, soy-free, and egg-free recipes to my blog soon! 🙂