It isn’t Christmas without a huge, refreshing glass of Coquito!
What is Coquito? Coquito or “little coconut” is the Puerto-Rican version of eggnog and it’s extremely delicious! Personally, I think it’s a sassier and more enjoyable beverage than eggnog and I love me some eggnog! I enjoy drinking a tall glass or two of this yummy, alcohol infused, creamy goodness during the coziest season of the year.
Coquito is commonly made with: Coconut milk, Puerto-Rican Rum, Condensed Milk, Evaporated Milk, and Vanilla, some makers even add eggs to the mix but that’s a debate I won’t get into today — hahah!
However, due to my dietary restrictions this year I decided to get my butt in the kitchen and create a version that is dairy, soy, and egg free but just as delicious!
The holiday season is the busiest time of the year for grocery stores and with Thanksgiving a few weeks away, everyone is stocking up. Download the Peapod app from Stop & Shop so you can order online, have them put the groceries in your car, and you can get on with your day.
Here’s my special link: CLICK HERE!
If you shop with my link, you will save $30 on your first order (who doesn’t love some free money) and get 60 days FREE shipping and pickup! Expires 12/31.
My Vegan Coquito:
- 3 (13.5oz) oz of Coconut Milk
- 1 can of Coconut Evaporated Milk
- 2 (15oz) cans Cream of Coconut (Coco Lopez Brand Only!)
- 2 cups Vegan Condensed Milk (I’ll teach you how to make it) OR 2 cans coconut condensed milk (pictured above).
- 1 cup of Sweetened Shredded Coconut
- 2 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tbsp Ground Cinnamon
- 2 tbsp Ground Nutmeg
- Cinnamon Sticks (optional for garnish)
- 1 1/2 cups White Rum (more or less depending on liking)
Sweetened Condensed Vegan Milk
- 3 cans of Coconut Milk (Carton or boxed will not work)
- 1 cup cane sugar (you can also use honey or coconut sugar)
How To Make Vegan Condensed Milk:
- Pour 3 cans of full fat coconut milk into a pot and keep stirring it until it starts to boil.
- Add your sugar of choice.
- Reduce heat and let it simmer for about 50 mins.
- Keep whisking so it doesn’t burn!
- Pour into a heat-safe container, it will thicken as it stands.
- The condensed milk can last up to 12 days if kept in an air-tight container.
- Add the Coconut Milk, Evaporated Milk, Cream of Coconut, Vegan Condensed Milk, Shredded Coconut, Rum, Vanilla, Nutmeg, and Cinnamon into a blender and blend until the liquid is smooth and creamy.
- Pour your coquito into an air-tight bottle and chill for a minimum of three hours.
- Shake vigorously before pouring, I suggest storing it in mason jars.
- Serve chilled in a glass and use cinnamon sticks as garnish, you can even add a dash of cinnamon, and shredded coconut to top it off!
- Enjoy 🙂
- Coquito can last anywhere from 4-6 months as long as it’s in a sealed container and refrigerated (it’s a different time span when you add eggs)
- You can use dark spiced rum (Hennessy) if you don’t like white rum, however, the authentic coquito drink is made with white rum.
- You MUST USE Coco Lopez canned Cream Coconut because nothing compares.
Regardless of how you make your Coquito, with or without eggs, with or without vegan condensed milk, or even the type of rum you choose, we all make it differently and this was my spin on a favorite drink without altering too much of its awesomeness.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and your family! Let’s end this year on a great note!
A Thankful Mama!