Rice and beans! Who doesn’t love a delicious plate of authentic arroz con gandules? What I love the most is how simple this rice dish is but the intensity of the flavors! You can add olives, pimentos, and even diced ham.
- 1 can of pigeon peas (partially drained)
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 tbsp sofrito
- 1 packet Sazon
- 3 tbsp EVOO
- 3 cups white rice
- 1 4oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp adobo
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 packet of ham flavoring or diced ham
- 4 cups hot water
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1 tsp diced garlic
- Heat 3 tbsp EVOO in a large pot and add your chopped onions and dried garlic until they soften.
- Add your canned tomato sauce and spices, keep stirring until it thickens into a paste.
- Add your partially drained can of pigeon peas and taste the mixture. You want it to be a little salty because you are cooking 3 cups of rice.
- Add your 3 cups of rice, 4 cups of hot water, and 3 bay leaves to the pot.
- Cover your pot with aluminum foil and then cover it. Let this simmer for approximately 30mins or until the water dries out. Do not stir the rice while it’s cooking.
- Serve alone or with your choice of meat (Puerto-Rican Cubed Steak w/ Peppers)