Apples are a delicious fruit that comes in different flavors and colors and is enjoyed throughout the year. Cooler weather intensifies the love we have for apples because it makes the best baked treats! Apple pie, apple turnover, apple cider, apple donuts, candied apples, Apple fritters, apple cake, the list goes on.
Baking a pie is no easy task, if the filling isn’t perfect it ruins the entire dessert and if the crust isn’t up to standards your whole pie will fall apart; when in doubt go with store- bought crust but be sure to read the ingredients to certify that it’s vegan.
Can you bake this pie with a plain crust and opt out of using the crumble? Yes! I know some folks don’t like crunch in their pie and if so, roll out another layer of crust to cover your filling and seal the edges.
Let’s get to baking! First, gather all of your supplies and then begin peeling, slicing, and mixing!
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoon
- Pastry blender/fork
- Two mixing bowls
- Pie pan
- 6 cups of peeled, thinly sliced apples
- 1 homemade pie crust or store-bought
- 1 TBSP lemon juice (freshly squeezed is best)
- 3 TBSP flour
- 1 TSP ground cinnamon
- 1/4 TSP nutmeg
- 1 TBSP apple pie spice
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 3 TBSP granulated sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar (or half brown & half granulated sugar)
- 1/3 cup melted vegan butter
TIP: Use a fork or pastry blender, it’s a crumble so you don’t want to whisk or blend it.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel and thinly slice your apples and place them into a large mixing bowl.
- Squeeze your lemon juice into the apples and mix.
- Add your spices, sugar, and flour to the apples and combine well, make sure it’s thoroughly coated.
- In a separate bowl, add the ingredients for your crumb topping and mix well with your fork, don’t be afraid of the amount of butter used it’ll be delicious, I promise.
- Place your crust into a pie pan and fill it with your apple mixture.
- Cover the apples with your crumb topping and bake at 375 for 50mins.
- Serve with vegan whipped cream or vegan vanilla ice cream! Enjoy!